updating sporatically

28.9.08

hello again

Because my father's a pastor there are a wealth of people in the world who think they know me, but I wouldn't know from a hole in the wall.

Over the past few years the question of my life plan has crept into the forced conversations that they often intrude upon me, and I'm in turn obliged to satiate their volley of feigned social intrigue.

So they ask where I'm studying.

I tell them I at UNBSJ, to which they give little more then an understanding nod, because UNBSJ really isn't very prestigious (I say this not as a slight on the faculty, many of which I respect and admire, but that any high school graduate can get in, and result in any student intellectuals wading through a mire of people who ought to go to community college, but instead will fail their way through university and dilute the value of academia; and will reuslt in the whole lot of us not getting good jobs and the people smart enought to go into trades making off like bandit; but I digress)

Then they ask what program I'm in; to which I reply "Arts", and elaborating by listing a few courses if they pretend to be especially interested.

And then they follow up with the worst question of all: "And where do you think that will take you?"

I fade off at this point into a haze of uncertainty, claiming that I'm not sure yet, but mentioning Law as a possibility or maybe Teaching.

In reality I don't have much interest in either of those occupations after thinking them through.

I'll elaborate on my genuine aspirations later though, because the point of all this for now is that when people ask me what I intend to do after university I'm just going to tell them that I'm considering becoming Batman.

2 comments:

Jeri said...

People ask me what I wanna do and I tell them I'm gonna try to take over the world. They normally give me a confused glance and walk away. It's great fun. At least I'm at McGill, though, where all the people want to be here and worked to be here. I can't imagine how irritated you must be.

alyson wonderland said...

you can't be batman unless someone shoots your rich parents in front of you in a dark alley................... and you're going to need your very own Alfred, too

remember, the most important thing about batman is his PARENTS ARE DEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAD

and uh, yeah. i'm going to become the 3rd silk spectre.